Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Books

So I read a couple of books in the past few weeks. Nothing really heavy or spiritual. Kinda liking reading fiction and, I don't know what you would call it, uh, real life stories/biographies/first hand accounts. I am speaking of Krakauer's books. Can you literary people (who are familiar with Krakauer) tell me what you would call them?

Anyway, Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer reminded me that I'd love to climb Everest but that I never will. It's a great read for you adventure lovers. Be warned - not exactly a happy ending,

Hornet Flight by Ken Follett was allright. It is set in Denmark during World War I. It involves spying and old airplanes which is kinda cool. Some of the book was cheesy so I don't know if I'll read anything else by Follett.

Because I really liked Into Thin Air, I thought I'd read another of Krakauer's books: Into The Wild. It was good. It's about a wandering young man who decides to spend some time in the Alaska Wilderness - alone. He died out there and Krakauer retraces his steps with this book. He tries to find out what kind a person would head out into the wilderness to live alone. The idea is romantic but like Krakauer's other book, I am reminded that I will not be heading into the wilderness alone, for a length of time, any time soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Into the Wild is in my "Read Soon" pile. I'm looking forward to it.

What would you call them? Probably any of the ones you listed. Amazon categorizes them under a number of different things, including some of the ones you mentioned. I'm a big fan of the term "armchair travel".

Speaking of which, have you ever read any Bill Bryson? I highly recommend "A Walk in the Woods", his account of his (ultimately partial) hike through the famed Appalachian Trail. It's hilarious and informative.

Chris Hiebert said...

I've never heard of it but I like it - "armchair travel". Thanks!

No, I haven't read Bill Bryson but it sounds like something I would enjoy. Thanks again, Marc.