Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Parking Etiquette

Is there some sort of official parking etiquette established that I don't know about?

We were leaving Costco today. Packing up our car with our two kids and the groceries took us a little time. I finally got in and in my excitement to open the packaging to a cordless phone set we just bought, I noticed another car signaling for my spot. I don't know how long they had been there but it was obvious from the persistent blinking of that evil orange light that they wanted my spot and wanted it now. And this is where I need some rules. Am I obligated to vacate the space as fast as possible or are they obligated to wait till I am good and ready to leave? This is not the first time this scenario has played out and admittedly, I have lingered longer than I have needed just to assert my control over that 5'x9' space.

But really, what should a guy do? I don't like the pressure of having to leave a parking place sooner than I am ready - and as odd as it sounds, I like to get ready to drive (loose items stowed, appropriate song on the ipod, climate controls set etc.).

Once, at the mall during the pre-Christmas shopping rush, I waited in the car with a sleeping child while Angela took the other one inside to shop. In the span of 45 minutes, 9 cars signaled for my spot. One stayed for over 4 minutes before they got the hint that I was not moving! Is a parking spot that valuable that people wait so long?

In our case today, we parked some distance from the store. We don't mind walking. In fact, we prefer to park some distance which is why I was surprised at the interruption. The parking lot seemed to fill out while we were in the store making our parking stall the closest, soon to be available stall. It never ceases to amaze me how persistent people are in their attempts to get a parking space as close to the store as they can.

Anyhow, I was curious to know if I was alone in this. For me it's a case of what is the right thing to do vs. what do I want to do.

Will I linger longer next time? Will I exit promptly? I don't know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny to see that you get so excited about purchases that you have to open them when you get into your vehicle. I'm exactly the same way, especially if it's a CD. It always bugs Dixie---"You can't just wait until we get home?"

I hate to toot my own horn here, but rather than write it all out again here, I wrote a post about "good" parking spots a while ago: "The psychology of parking" I argue (well, it's mostly Dixie's idea) that most people drift to the center parking lanes, even though they may actually end up parking farther away from the entrance than if they had parked towards either end of the parking lot...

Unknown said...

It's my spot until I leave it. If my wife and I rush out of the store with a hungry screaming baby you can bet we're gonna sit there in that spot until she's done nursing. Or maybe we'll sit there awhile just to avoid going somewhere else. Or maybe there's a good song on the radio and being the incompetent fools we are we can't sing and drive at the same time. Whatever.

If you wanna open your nice new shiny new cordless phone while occupying the only parking space in 300 feet, go right ahead. Take your time. I'll wait!

Chris Hiebert said...

Now that you mention it, Marc, I think you and Dixie are absolutely correct. I have never thought about it before but I admit my instincts are to go for a close parking spot inline with the entrance! How foolish of me. I will test your theory from now on though I am confident I'll further confirm it. And then I can park knowing who the fools really are! Thanks for the link!

Doug, you'll never know how freeing it is to hear you say I'll wait! I have decided I am going to stand my ground. However, if it is ever you I see waiting for my space, in your honor, I will drop whatever I am doing in the car and vacate the premises immediately!

Jobina said...

I happened on this post quite a bit later than others...oh well! As I figure it, once you have your car in reverse, you should vacate ASAP. THAT ticks me off if people just sit there in reverse but not moving! If your car is started but your just not ready to go yet, hey, more power to you...make em wait!

Anonymous said...

If you are a minister you have my sympathy for no other reason than I know you must be rushed off of your feet..!!

I found your blog by accident pressing that button for next blog at the top of mine.

You're welcome to drop by my site if you like: gledwood2.blogspot.com. Do tell me what you think of it when you come.

I look forward very much to seeing you again. All the very best now from

Gledwood