Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentines Bitterness

My wife doesn't need Valentines Day to know I love her. Really. Ask her. We talked about it. She knows my dislike for obligatory holidays. OK, I know valentines day isn't a holiday but if it were, I would feel obliged to take the day off and therein lies an exception to my rule: if you are obligated to buy something for someone, don't do it because everyone is doing it. If you are obligated to take the day off - do it because everyone is doing it (or rather because it is a good thing to do). But if valentines day were like all my other holidays in which I am obliged to take the day off, I would inevitably find myself doing work on that day anyways. So either way, I loose. But that is not the point of my ramblings.

I am teetering on the fence of indecision with guilt on one side and defiance on the other. I am teetering because I haven't purchased flowers, cards nor chocolates for my wife.

The other day I drove by one of our favorite bakeries (I was out of town) and I was struck with a brilliant idea - why not buy Angela a pecan sticky bun? She loves them and we usually get them on special outings. So I did. She almost cried. The point: Valentines day is not the one day to love someone. It's really a poor excuse to love someone. If you show affection on that day more than on other days, you need to pull up your socks in the romance department.

I think I've fallen off the fence and landed in the field of defiance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny thing, I am in that same field. I thought I saw you drop.