Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Boip

Presently (I like that word - it's in a bunch of Mackenzie's "Thomas The Tank Engine" books), I am watching "The Bourne Supremacy" (and I am using that word in context because I am actually, right now, watching the movie as I type). I watched "The Bourne Ultimatum" the other day and a few days before that, I watched "Bourne Identity." What I've noticed about this movie, and any current action movie for that matter, is all the crazy sounds that accompany various electronic devices. You have the cell phones that "beep" and "blip" with every keypress and text message, you got all the high tech gadgets that do many amazing things. These gadgets "deet" and "boip" as they do their tech job. Then you have computers which "zip", "tick", "zeet", and "buzz".

It's Bourne's latest internet search that got me thinking: He's searching for a dude named Neski. Imagine your typical google search. Imagine your computer playing a sound effect for every keystroke. Imagine a "blip" when you press enter. imagine a "bloip" as the results are displayed. Imagine a "dint" when you click on a link. Another "bliop" as the results are displayed again. Then you start scrolling . . . "tick tick tick" as the text scrolls on the screen.

Do these sound effects really make a movie more entertaining? Would a normal, soundless search be boring?

I am thinking that most people find similar sound effects annoying. One of the first things I do when I get a new computer is disable most of the sounds.

And that's what I find disappointing about great movies - the unrealistic sound effects. That and actors drinking out of empty coffee cups . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't even tell you how much it drives me nuts when actors drink out of empty coffee cups...it's one of my biggest pet peeves! why couldn't they have put something in there? even water? it makes me crazy.

welcome to the mac world! it's a beautiful place to be!

kc

Anonymous said...

Good point, Chris.

Another thing I notice in movies (and possibly in Bourne Ultimatum) is unrealistic internet searches. They type in a name in some unrecognizable search engine (I think I just saw a movie in which they used Google) and when they enter the name--Presto!--everything they could possibly need to know about the person appears. Same with hacks into CIA/FBI information systems.

Anonymous (kc)---whoever you are---I totally agree. I recently posted about the empty coffee cup. You really have to be a good actor to fool me into thinking that you've got something in that to-go cup. It's the worst when they put the cup down and it wobbles or "pops" like an empty cup---you'd think the director or editor would catch that.

A related annoying thing is actors who pretend to play instruments. I'm not sure if there's a worse crime in the film industry than poor air-banding.

Chris Hiebert said...

kc - I just thought of something . . . I should try going to meetings and go for coffee with people with an empty coffee cup. You know, I'll be sitting there, subtly take a fake sip, then "pop" the cup down at the table. Just be all nonchalant about it. I'd be interested to see people's reactions. If they question me, I'll just say something sarcastic like "well this is how they drink coffee in the movies!"

Marc, I will definitely check out your coffee cup post.

Oh, don't get me started on air-banding . . .

Chris Hiebert said...

. . . to check out your post . . . I just need a good RSS agrigator so I can start reading blogs again. kc, any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Sorry...I don't mean to trumpet my own blog. I only mentioned my post because I thought it interesting that kc should mention empty cups specifically, as I had ranted about that very thing recently.

I know you asked kc, but as far as RSS agrigators, I've been using Bloglines.com for a couple of years now. It's an online aggrigator, so you can access it anywhere.

The other option is using Firefox's built-in "live" RSS aggrigator, but I'm not sure if you use Firefox. Safari may have something similar.