Friday, January 19, 2007

Overcoming Life's Obstacles - Part 2

Again, if you are looking for a fluffy feel good story, look elsewhere.

I overcame an obstacle today: I made it up the T-Bar lift on a snowboard!

Yup, that's right! I made it up the T-Bar lift 4 times and I did not fall off! Coming down the mountain is another story but despite the falls, that's the easy part.

Back story: every year, I take our youth to Apex to do some night skiing on Friday nights. It is super cheap on Fridays. Anyhow, having mastered skiing (aka: I can make it down the hill without killing or injuring myself and actually enjoy it), I decided I would be "hip" and learn to snowboard. For the past two years, I never made it past the bunny hill. I tried the T-Bar but until tonight, I couldn't get 10 meters up the hill without falling. And just so you don't get the wrong idea: the fact that I used the word "hip" shows that I'll never be hip, or whatever today's equivalent of "hip" is. And when I said "for the past two years", it's not like I have been trying for two years to snowboard. In fact, I have only gone snowboarding 3 evenings out of those two years so relative to the time I have spent away from the slopes, I have picked up the skills at an alarming pace.

Tonight, on the fourth and last run, I did not fall. It was beautiful. I became one with the board and it was as if I floated down that heavenly slope. It could probably be likened to an out of body experience. I wouldn't know. I've never had one. But it was bliss.

I am on a roll with overcoming obstacles. What should I try to overcome next?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're funny!

Anonymous said...

but I find your blog amusing and entertaining.