Monday, October 02, 2006

Choose your own adventure

We drove up to Kelowna to pick up a book we had ordered a while back. While there, we decided to take the boys swimming. In between, we decided to call ahead to Red Robins to order lunch to be picked up. Angela made the call: "2 Whisky River BBQ Chicken burgers, please, both without tomatoes." Pause. Angela: "Do you want me to leave my name for the pickup? Ok, bye" First warning flag that we didn't see until after: the girl didn't feel the need to take our name.

***

Have you ever had a Whisky River BBQ Chicken burger? Well, I have been known to say that if I were on death row and had to choose my last meal, this is what I would choose. I would almost die for it.

***

So I pull up to Red Robins. I get out of the car. I go inside. I am salivating. I am greeted and I say that I am here for a pickup. Now get this. This is what the girl says: "Oh, I wasn't able to punch in your order because I didn't know if you wanted chicken or beef." WHAAAAT???

A zillion thoughts go through my mind one of which is: I distinctively heard Angela order the Whisky River BAR - B - Q CHICKEN BURGER! I didn't even know they made a beef one.

She asks me what we wanted. I said: "I didn't know you even had a beef one." She said: "yeah, uh, so chicken or beef? If you want to wait we can do up your order now." I said: "I am in a hurry and we are going to eat somewhere else." I walked out

I call this choose your own adventure because once I got to the car, I thought of a pile of things I could have done or said to her. I was disappointed that all I did was walk out. We really wanted those flavors in our mouths. What should I have done? If I were an bold, angry person, I would have asked to see her manager and demanded that we be given a free lunch due to this girl's incompetence. If they didn't have call display, she could have dialed *69. And if she would have taken our names like Angela suggested, she could have found our number and called to confirm. I thought of boycotting Red Robins but their burgers are too good. I even thought of backing the car through their front doors. No I didn't but I am just trying to convey the disappointment. What would you have done? What ending would you have chosen for this story?

We went to the mall's food court. I bought two cheese dogs from Orange Julius. Angela bought fries from New York Fries. Angela tried my cheese dog. She was embarrassed to say that she really liked it (she grew up on a cattle ranch) and ate 3/4 of it. It was no Whisky River BBQ Chicken Burger but the melted cheese, onions, relish and ketchup on the hotdog in a steamed bun took a bit of the sting away.

We finally concluded our Kelowna trip with a dip in the pool. We end on a happy note:

Mackenzie, Lukas & Angela in the pool at the Parkinson Rec Centre

No comments: