Tuesday, October 17, 2006

How alone am I?

I was sitting in church this Sunday, listening to the preacher preach, really listening, then hearing a particular point, then questioning that particular point, then disagreeing with that particular point, then not listening anymore, then hearing another point, then disagreeing with that point, and then asking "why"? Why am I disagreeing with this point? Why did I disagree with that other point? Why questioning these things? And why am I here listening in the first place? Then wondering: "Am I the only one that thinks like this? Am I the only one that has these rabbit trail thoughts during a sermon? How alone am I in my thoughts?"

As you read on, know that I don't write having formulated thoughts and strong conclusions. I write to formulate thoughts and try to reach conclusions. I rarely do though, reach conclusions, but then I realize it's more about the journey than the destination. So now, here is a bit of that journey . . .

We average a little over one hundred people at our services on a Sunday morning. Our church family is bigger than than and if everyone showed up on the same Sunday, we would be about 175 but we get a little over one hundred people a Sunday.

You know, even as I write this, I realize I am falling into the trap of thinking that church is all about the Sunday Morning Service. I know that is false but I do think the Sunday Service is the main source of a church's identity, ours anyway, whether good or bad, and that is why I do feel justified in asking questions about it. So I continue . . .

We have a number of parents who's kids have graduated from High School in the past 5 to 10 years. They make up the majority of our church. The seniors are the next biggest group. After that, we have young families - Parents who are in their thirties, approaching 40. Then, all the people that fit into one minority. That minority consists of one or two or three twenty-somethings, one grade 12 guy, and a few couples like Angela and I. This is a rough estimate. I love these people. At least I think I do. I guess you would have to ask them if I show it and they would tell you, but these people are my family. The thing is, I feel so alone in this crowd. I even think about it while I am leading worship sometimes. I look out and see my church family and I am happy to see them, but I don't see any real friends in this group. I try to be authentic in what I say and do in church but there is nobody here that I can be really real with. Ok, there are a few but not really. But as I lead and think this stuff, I feel alone. Not lonely necessarily, just alone.

Then, I listen to the sermon. And I really try to listen. And I try to listen for God's message, but I usually end up hearing stuff I don't agree with. I end up questioning what the preacher is saying. If I make notes, I am usually writing the difficulty. And this bugs me. Why do I do this? I have nothing personal against the preacher. Am I doing it because deep down I don't want to hear from God? Do I do it cause if I don't want to be changed? Because I don't want to be challenged? Because I am lazy? Or, do I do it because that is a roll God has given me to do? Not find fault in everything, but to question what I am hearing, what we are hearing. Track with me for a second so you don' misunderstand me: I wonder if God has created me in such a way that I ask a lot of questions. I wonder if he created me in such a way that I long to sift through words to find truth.

Right now I am feeling that this thought process is stupid. That it doesn't make any sense. I am going to try a different angle. . .

What bugs me about church is that a whole crowd of people can listen to a message without ever questioning it. What bugs me is that we could be fed some subtle lie, not because the preacher is trying to lead us astray, but maybe because of a poor illustration or a thought that hasn't been fully worked out, and nobody would ever know it. I want to give you an example from this Sunday but I think that would be mean. Because I know this Sunday's preacher and because we talked about the sermon before Sunday, I know what he was trying to say and I agree with it. He just communicated something else, something that could easily mislead people, but it was subtle and maybe no big deal. And it made me realize that what I long for in Church is for the people to approach God and his Scriptures together. That we work through the beatitudes together cause Joe over their might have some insight or something to share that Bill or I need to hear. Or Jane might restate what Bob said so that everyone understands that what Bob really meant. You get what I mean? I am tired of listening to one guy tell us what to do, who to be, what not to do. I guess I am tired of being preached at and I want to experience God together in community. If the preacher would have asked me about some of his points, I would have said: "I agree with you but try saying it this way cause I think if you say it the way it is written here, you will give people the wrong impression of who God is." Or, "maybe you want to think about this point. I know what you are trying to communicate but the text isn't really saying that. Not that it is wrong, but this might not be the place to preach it."

I am not about to give up on our church our anything like that. I am just wondering if I am really alone in my thoughts. I wonder if the majority of our church really likes coming on Sunday to hear one guy give them the formulas for a better life. I wonder if they are comfortable with settling.

I had no idea where this would all go. I am definitely frustrated and wondering where my place is in all this, being a pastor of this church family, but at the same time, I do believe that Jesus loves the church, and that he has faith that the church will be the people to grow his kingdom. And I want to be a part of the growing of God's kingdom.


6 comments:

Sheldon said...

I don't think I have the exact same situation as you, but I have rabbit trail thoughts all the time, including during sermons. The pastor says something, that triggers another thought in my head and by the time I come back around the pastor is wrapping it up! But it sounds more like your rabbit trail thoughts are more focused on the actual topic...mine go everywhere. I don't think it's bad to question things because like you said, so many people don't (including myself sometimes). They just accept everything they hear. I think questioning things is good to some extent because it keeps people honest and once you work through the truth I think it becomes a lot more clear and meaningful to oneself.

Chris Hiebert said...

Yeah, thanks for that. The only problem is that I usually don't speak up. I don't say anything. I keep my thoughts to myself and Angela. So question is then, when should a guy speak up and when should he keep his mouth shut? And if he is to speak up, how does he get the courage to speak up, especially when it will hurt the other person?

Savage said...

not alone... but then I'd have to go to church to think those thoughts. haha... I'll try to get out more. one of these days we really have to go for coffee or something.

Chris Hiebert said...

Yeah, despite all I say and think, church is good.

Sheldon said...

That's a tough question. I think we all need to be a little more honest with each other. Not that we should be like Jim Carey in Liar Liar, but not being honest with each other doesn't help build anyone up and if you really have a problem with something and don't say anything it will continue to eat you up inside. Maybe a little truth would help him? I think the key is being honest with love. If your intention is to help that person with your honesty it's good. If your honesty is to make yourself look better or to put the other person down, I think that is wrong.

Anonymous said...

I'm often disappointed with sermon points too...but there is something to be said about fighting the temptation to think about other stuff, even tho it seems pointless....I think these challenging thoughts are good -- they help us think about things more holistically....agreeing to disagree is cool too tho.