Friday, November 24, 2006

Application

Where did this idea of Application come from? Where did we get the idea that we must "apply, apply, apply" the scriptures. I was having an intense conversation with someone over the beattudes, again, and this person was constantly saying: "but I gotta know how to apply it." He was taking each verse, such as "Blessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy" and insisting that he needed to know how to apply it to his life.

Now I am not saying making applications are wrong but must we always read scripture with intention that we must apply what we read to our lives right now? The trouble for me is that I am still wrestling with the beattitudes. I feel that Jesus was stating a fact in this "sermon" rather than imploring that everone needs to be these things or else, know what I mean?"

So it is not that I am looking for an excuse to not be merciful, I definitely want to be that, but what I want to know is where did we get the idea that we must "apply" everything? Where did that notion come from? Who influenced our thinking this way?

Perhaps you may point to 2 Timothy 3:16 which says: "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking,correcting and training in righteousness" and say that is why we must apply it. Ok. But must we make applications with such vigor?

I am just tired of having to respond by doing something all the time. I am weary of it. What I really want is for God to speak through the scriptures to tell me who I am. To tell me how much he loves me and values me. I don't get this when I read for application. I usually feel guilty that I don't measure up or could ever measure up. I seem to always read scripture through the lens of "so what should I do now?" And when I do that, I am overwhelmed with the weight of having to do something - usually something I can't do, by myself at least, or without the Holy Spirit, which is what I have end up trying to do.

* * *

So I think this tension in me - applying scripture vs. just listening to scripture - is a result of me being in the crossover between our modern and post-modern generations. The modern part of me tells me that I must measure up to a standard and do, do, do while the post-modern part of me wants to rebell agains that complusion. And for no particular reason that I can tell, other than I want to rebell. Or maybe it i wrong.

And where does this all bring me? No idea. If you've been confused by what you just read, I am more confused than you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post, Chris. I may have to quote you.

I like this: "What I really want is for God to speak through the scriptures to tell me who I am."

I think trying to apply every "jot and tittle" to my individual life may sometimes rob the text of its cultural context and meaning.

I'm no longer convinced that the Bible is about what I should do. It wasn't written as an instructional manual, though it is certainly helpful sometimes in that way. The Bible is the story of God working to redeem the world. It is about who God is.

My two cents, anyway.

Here's a favourite quote from Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis (have you read it?):

"The Bible is not pieces of information about God and Jesus and whatever else we take and apply to situations as we would a cookbook or an instruction manual.

And while I’m at it, let’s make a group decision to drop once and for all the Bible-as-owner’s-manual metaphor. It’s terrible. It really is.

When was the last time you read the owner’s manual for your toaster? Do you find it remotely inspiring or meaningful?

You only refer to it when something’s wrong with your toaster. You use it to fix the problem, and then you put it away." (p. 62)

Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I really think I understand what you are saying and I think we are more alike than you realize, cause you said very much what I feel a lot of times. And I like what Marc had to say as well.

Chris Hiebert said...

Yeah, your right, Marc. The instruction manual thing, that is totally what I am having problems with.

I did read Rob Bell's Velvet Elvis. Excellent book. I totally forgot about that quote though. Thanks for sharing it. There is a lot of freedom in choosing to drop the "Bible-as-owner's-manual metaphor." Now I feel I need to know how to approach it instead. I imagine Rob wrote about it but I forget what he said. I'll have to go back to it.


Yeah mom, I can understand that we think the same way. The challenge is not to feel guilty about your thoughts, right?