Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Hiatus

There are a number of reasons I have not posted anything here for the last 11 days. In case you don't know, you can click "Read more" underneath this line to read the rest of the story . . .

Let me walk you through what was:

Saturday, December 2
- Laura's Birthday breakfast at our house.
- Mammoth church board meeting. 8 hours, Pizza included
- Visit from an old friend, Marc. A refreshing visit. He was the first friend I ever had a memory of. We lost touch over the years but somehow, through blogging mostly, we have reconnected.

Sunday, December 3
- Church and all that comes with it
- Left Mackenzie with my parents
- Drove to Okanagan falls to meet up with frien
ds - Halls and Moores
- We rented a huge condo for two nights to hang out and relax
- We watched a talk by Andy Stanely called "Cheating the church. Simply amazing. It's blogable but only if I can fit in the time.
- Spent our first night away from Mackenzie since Lukas was born
Monday, December 4

- More hanging out and relaxing
- Went to the hospital to visit Benj & Theressa and their new baby boy
- Watched a Wayne Cordero talk - another g
ood one. Compliments Andy Stanely's
Tuesday, December 5

- More relaxing and hanging out
- Headed home to see pickup Mackenzie

- Did the worship thing at AWANA
- The retreat was sweet in the sense that we got to hang out with friends and spend some good
focused time with Lukas.
Wednesday, December 6

- Left at 6am in the Kenworth headed for Nisku (just south of Edmonton)
- Had on a 60' drilling apparatus. I think they called it a jib crane.
- Roads were ok through the mountains.
- Arrived on time but they weren't ready to unload me. Took about 4 hours.
- Got going again and ended up driving un
til 1:30am the next morning
Thursday, December 7

- Hit the road at 6am and headed to Brooks, AB
- Loaded up big round bales - 52, 000 lbs worth!
- Round bales are wide. 10 feet wide!
- Started for home with my over sized load and jittery nerves
- Made it to Kelowna by 11:30pm that night
Friday, December 8

- Headed up toward Big White Ski Resort at 7am
- The tractor unloaded me by pushing the bales off the other side - different.
- Hot home at 10:30am

- Hung out with my family till lunch
- Setup for our church's Christmas party all afternoon and into the evening
- Got insulted by our guest musician/singer
- Ate my turkey dinner with a sour taste in
my mouth
- Led the party in some rousing Christmas Carols
- Crashed on the couch with Angela later that evening
Saturday, December 9

- Decided to "cheat the church" and skip men's breakfast to hang out with my family. I had seen
Mackenzie for a total of 4 hours in the past 6 days.
- Terry Switzer Trucking Party. We went to the Gausthous (or something German like that) in
Westbank
- I double my intake of escargot this year - I had two
- I had an amazing brie covered steak

- I'm glad I still drive truck for the very reason that I can go to a Christmas party
still
Sunday, December 10

- Church and all that it contains including video and sound difficulties. A difficult m
orning that
way but a good morning none the less.
- Our first night at home in over a week that we could relax - just the two of us. Sweetness.
Monday, December 11

- Hung out at home with my family - it is my day off after all
- We picked out an cut down a Christmas tree.
- This is Mackenzie watching his dad cut down the tree

- Put the tree in the house.
- Another relaxing evening at home
Tuesday, December 12

- Laptop surgery day
- Took me most the morning to get the mobo out. One pesky screw was holding me up.
- Had the new power plug in, laptop working and all in one piece by 3:30pm
- Played Xbox with my junior high Xbox crew
- Sung the "Christingole" song at AWANA (last night of AWANA this year!!)
- Quartet practice after AWANA
- Angela picked up slurpees that we drank till we went to bed
Wednesday, December 13

- Mackenzie jumped into bed at 7:15am. I put on "Cars" and started blogging . . .

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the first friend you remember? Cool! (But it also makes me feel a little worse...We could have had 20 solid years of memories! But enough about that, as that's my problem, not yours! :) )

I'm glad you had a good 11 days (I think: you had lots going on there, but I seem to get a sense of goodness from it all).

Anonymous said...

That may have sounded a bit rude there. Sorry. Not my intention --- trying to be goofy, but that doesn't come across well in print)

Chris Hiebert said...

Doesn't sound rude at all. Now I feel bad for making you feel bad.

Ok, so I have memories of life before I met you but not very clear ones. Weren't we only like 5 or 6 years old when we met? Not a lot of time to make many 'memorable' friendships in that time.

So, do you struggle with guilt? I now think it could be my fault. Sorry.

Chris Hiebert said...

I meant "not a lot of time to make many 'memorable' friendships before that time.

Anonymous said...

Crap! Not my intention to make you feel bad there. You should feel no guilt whatsoever. (Maybe this isn't the place for this! :) )

I was 7 when we moved to 'Port. I guess that would have made you 6. Man, we were young!

Memories actually are flooding back: your dog, the poodle---um, what was his name now, it's on the tip of my tongue. Was his name related to his color? Shoot. Grey poodle. Dang it.

Your family also introduced me to The Cosby Show and Danger Bay.

Chris Hiebert said...

Smokey. Whatever happened to Buddy?

I remember the mirrors in the chapel and hours of laughter playing with them.

And there were our escapades to the ravine.

There were high school memories too: playing poker with skittles. Sheldon was in on that one.

Anonymous said...

SMOKEY! That's it! I was thinking Greyey or Ashey or something along those lines.

Don't forget the robot baseball on the Nintendo.

Buddy died of old age in 2001.

Joel said...

Dude,

The Stanley and Cordeiro talks....where they the ones from Leadership Summit '06 back in August? I saw those talks on satellite. They were brilliant. Cordeiro's filling up principle and sliding fulcrum principle have kept me sane and healthy in the last 4 months.

Chris Hiebert said...

Thoes would be the ones! We watched Stanley's first (I don't know how it was presented at the conference). He gave Biblical reasons for "cheating the church" Cordeiro's were just 'life principles' - good ones I do say - but life principles none the less. His fulcrum thing was also an awesome way to explain how life is best lived in tension, like I always say.