Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Women in Ministry

I'm doing some good reading this morning on Women in Ministry. I started with this blog post by Scott McKnight on 1 Timothy 2:8-15.

That led me to a paper writting by Dr. Franklin Pyles on the same text. Go here for that one.

Here is his conclusion:

Therefore, the passage does not forbid women being involved in the leadership of the church, nor does it forbid their teaching men the Word of God. Women should be allowed, on the basis of the New Testament, to be fully active in every part, and at every level of ministry, as were their first century counterparts. I conclude in concurrence with A. B. Simpson who wrote in reply to someone who complained about women preaching and teaching in the early Alliance that the issue was not that women taught, but what they taught. As long as they taught the truth, there is no reason to hinder them.
This is timely because our church leadership (all guys) has been working through this issue - or rather the issue of women as elders. I love my church and it's leadership but this is one issue I am at odds with them. I believe women can be in leadership and it is unfortunate that our church doesn't allow it - we have some gifted women that are not allowed to use their gifts. I think we all loose out when we get in the way of God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm I don't agree. You'd have to convince me that the NT does indeed agree with women as elders. Deacons for sure -- but there is just something about male leadership in those kinds of roles...I dunno. I'm up for discussing this further---definitely have it in an open hand. Can't wait to see you man!

Chris Hiebert said...

Yeah, we are definitely going to have a lot to talk about . . .

Hurry up and get here!