Friday, December 15, 2006

In particular

I work with young people. If you do too, or have kids, or have friends who have kids, you may find this interesting. I am quoting from an article in a online magazine that I pay for called "Engage." It is the journal of youth culture put together by the Center for Parent/Youth Understanding (CPYU). The article is called "In Particular" and is written by the CPYU president, Walt Mueller. In the article he lists and explains "10 surprising things you need to know about youth culture." Here is his list:

1. Advertising is a powerful shaper of kids.
2. Everything's happening at younger and younger ages.
3. They are engaging new media in new ways.
4. Family violence is rampant.
5. The nature of peer pressure has changed.
6. Materialism is a desirable lifestyle.
7. Oral sex is big.
8. Far too many kids depressed.
9. There's little difference between churched and un-churched kids.
10. In the midst of all this, children and teens are increasingly becoming more and more aware of their deep hunger for something more.
It is for reason 10 that I work with young people. It is for reason 10 that I have no trouble bringing up my boys in this world. But those first 9 sure shape kids now adays.

This article made me think about my middle-school kids and why they frustrate me so much. But I do have a lot of hope for them.

Each of these "surprising things" were discussed in the article, but this gives you a outline as to what shapes our kids. If you are interested in reading the whole article, let me know. I know I can get permission to distribute it.

No comments: