Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Out of the gates and running!

We had our youth kick-off tonight. I am pleased with our plans and direction. Angela has been the visionary this year with youth stuff. I am so thankful for her.

This year we are having an "Amazing Race meets Treasure Hunters meets Survivor meets geocacheing" theme running throughout. I made up passports that reflect Canadian passports, complete with students photos and info. Throughout the year we will have games and activities and the idea is to earn stamps in the passport. At the end of the year, the student with the most stamps will win big - an Xbox or an ipod or something. I haven't decided yet. We'll usually do out Small Group night that includes worship, teaching, discussion and games. Once a month or so, we will do a big game that takes the whole evening. Like tonight.

Tonight we had the students go on a treasure hunt. They had a few things to find around town, and a few tasks to complete. The last thing was a treasure of prizes. It went fast and worked out well. They seemed to like it. After that, I did some announcements and did a brief talk on 1 Corinthians 9 - running the race but I kept out the cliches.

So, it seems like a good direction to me. Thanks God! Often, we don't receive this kinda direction till the 11th hour.

If you wanna pray, pray for help. I have two sponsors that can't always make it. One may be moving. That leaves Angela and I. Angela is great with behind the scenes, setup, ideas, errands and stuff, but it is harder to hang out with two kids. She likes hanging out with Students so this is tough for her, although, she was able to be quite involved tonight.
Pray also that somehow, through what I can do and our students can do, that we grow in influence and effectiveness for God's Kingdom benefit.

So yeah, that's what's going on in ministry.

No comments: